Friday, May 02, 2008

There are a few personal performances throughout the year that make me yell out loud; "hell ya!" Yesterday was one of those such rides. Very SATISFYING.
Brad wanted some hill training with a lot VAM. So I looked around my brain and came up with the ride below which is an out and back from Selmore to the far end of the Ozark Mtn High Road and back. As it turns out I went ahead and did this and then some.


The put in. Thankfully my presence didn't cause the church to spontaneously combust.


Cyclecore Brad. One solid mofo!
Note the swell little tube placement...cute as a pin!


We continued on to the old winery at the junction of 65 and 176 which in the 80's was our traditional turn around. It was at this point that Brad's knee was giving him probs. He concluded it was the new cranks he had just put on the bike the day before. He thought it best to turn around and head to the house. I was torn between supporting him on the way back to the car but he insisted I carry on. I had mixed 4hrs of fuel so according to my calculations I could do the aforementioned planned 52 mile out and back as well as make it back to Sprfd. So it was settled. Onward!

This brings me to a point. Brad Huff does not need this crap. Send good healing vibes his way or pray or whatever. The Olympics are just around the corner.

I loaded up before, during and after the ride with antioxidants because of the exhaust!



It's been almost two years to the day since I've riddenthe OMH.. At this point I am caught between salivating with anticipation of what lies ahead and the anxiety at what is in front of me and what's in back of me that I need to as yet complete...ya know? The darkening skies weren't helping either.


That is one cool road. Thank you Mr. Ashcroft!



Hey. A fat kid has got to eat.





Back onto the exhaust express!











Man. Did I really go up that in the other direction?

.

The wind and my body weight was such that I was in the big ring from the turnaround on the high road to my front door(>68rpm). Spun out at 145rpm (50mph). Crazy fun!


Back into Ozark and Brad;s driveway via Riverside, NN and Pecker's.
Ride time, 3:25 for 72 miles.

I love having fitness!

5 comments:

Brad Jackson said...

That ride looks like fun. I think I might try it sometime when there is no wind, only on a perfect day. I also want to go to that place in Arkansas you posted on not to long ago.

Anonymous said...

FYI,
I show 3185ft of climbing for the Dogwood, OCC shows 2626 feet on the site.
Jason

Melody! said...

Brad,

Let's go!


Thanx Jason!
Spot-on elevation is elusive!

Brad Jackson said...

I don't think you want to ride with me out there it's too hard. I did go to the Ozark Mountain Highroad yesterday then headed back. Total of 62 miles and time was 3:15. Those hills about killed me. They don't look so bad driving up them. If you really want to go to Arkansas we should set something up. I have finals next week though. So maybe sometime after that. I will call you soon to plan something. Maybe we can get a whole gang to go.

Melody! said...

Good for you Brad!
Highway 65 and the like are good training unlike the Farmroads that we usually train on....there are no interuptions so you can efficiently train and maximize the time spent in zones!

Yes let's go down to Newton Co! There are a couple of loops that I have had my eye on or we can just go do up-and-downs on the four climbs out of Boxley Valley. Or we could take multitrips down there.

Let me know when you got breathing room!