Sunday, May 13, 2007

WTF?

Photo courtesy www.hiltonpond.org


I was like wtf? Who are these guys at my feeders? Well it turns out they are Rosebreasted Grosbeaks on their way north from Peru and various locals in this hemisphere at that latitude, or there bouts. In other words they like to winter down under.
They were like WTF too. They appeared as though they had never seen a feeder or a window because all of the six of them didn't know how to work any of the various feeders I have. They also kept flying into the windows and sliding glass doors.
They were here for one afternoon then kapoof, not a hide nor hair since. Like the Waxwings' appearance in the early spring. Maybe I'll catch them on the flip side of the seasons.
Hummingbirds are thick around the house this year and I am being lapped up out of house and home. I think I'm gonna turn into one of those old men who end up creating monster flocks of hummers and end up dispensing a 100lbs of sugar a year. Remember NO RED COLORING. Tsk tsk.
Photo courtesy: Mike Mertz Nature Portfolio, FLYING STUFF

Marcus says he's fixin' to cook up something special for the Orioles he has at his hummer feeders. Lucky bastard. I ain't got no Orioles. Besides, they look like little pigs anyway. Slobs really. Courtesy cbc.com