
A couple of days ago I noticed my yearly visitors had arrived from South America to nest in one of my chimneys. The Chimney Swifts had arrived and wanted into the capped off chimneys. I put off getting the ladder out and getting up on the roof long enough so tonight at dusk after listening to their inscesent cries I did the dirty deed. No later that 5 minutes after I took off the chimney cap a nesting pair plummeted down the shaft and now I sit here and type with their much loved chirpping and such. In a month or two I will begin to hear the chirpping and hissing of the chicks. It's great fun and I highly recommend them.
You can get your own by constructing an at least 8' tall "chimney" in your back yard. And because of the decline of open chimneys in the US you'll have guests as soon as it's done. Or so I've read.

On another orinth note. Has anyone else noticed that my fav meadow birds are back. I noticed a few weeks back, before that cold snap, that Scissor Tails are about. Boy I would love to get one of those in a cage to look at for a few days.




2 comments:
Did you take the birds photos at the bottom?
Funny about the birds.....I've been seeing the strangest birds here as well: boobies (3 species), gannets out of season (including immatures), our warblers and finches are out of synch with the season; I think the weather patterns have everything all screwed up. It's worrisome and fascinating at the same time. Keep me posted on any other strange sightings! See you in a few weeks.
Post a Comment