Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Natural State


Mert and Tonka trying to keep dry on the Hailstone.


Dad.Are you sure you did this puddle at 3' over? Looks like paddy water.


On Saturday I said phukit and took off for my favorite place Ar kansas. 100 miles, 1:40', 5 to 8 over. I parked at the Ponca acess and planned to do 4 climbs at FTP out of the valley (did 5); to hiway 103, to Low Gap, to Kingston and to Mossville. I was stoked! I could hardly contain myself on the way down. It's been a whole year since I've even been 55 miles from home and that's all on my bike! And besides I consider Newton Co, Ar to be one of the finer places I have ever been. The torqouise blue h2o, the sun exposed and element beaten sandstone crags populated by knarled pines. The moss. The lichen. The whole of the place looks like a fucking Japanese garden. OMG. Hell the extra 1000' it's got on us here alone. Cripes!

I warmed up through the valley on the way to the turn off to Kingston. The Kingsotn climb is sun exposed with relativiely far sight distance so you can see 5' of climbing in front of you.Did that climb 2x, ditched the leg warmers and went upstream past the Hailstones takeout to do the climb to Mossville.

The Mossville climb had a different personality from Kingston in that it is tighter with patchy blacktop and bits of snow here and there. The switchbacks are'nt too switchy but it does give one a neato feeling. Not one car the 16' to the top.

I then rode back downstream to the parking lot to refill my bottles.Went past Beech Creek where my friend (sis's ex) got pinned and whose boat remained for months. There were a number of folks at the parking area for there was some sorta running event taking place on the BRT between Ponca and Boxley. All climbs except Low Gap took 15-16' at the very upper end of FTP whilst flirting with Vo2 max. Average rpm was 65 with my 23t. All climbs, except Low Gap, 1000+ ft. You could feel the air change through the elevation...microclimates etc.

Now off I went to 103 uphill from Ponca. This one was steeper than the others or so it seemed. I topped out at the Compton Trailhead by the new Windmill.

Now down then up to Low Gap. Too fun! This is very intimate with ferns, tight switchbacks and running streams. Made me feel bike-ridery. Most funnest descent!

Sorry no vid. My camera is a POS.

Next time I'm gonna do a loop from Low Gap to Mossville. I just love Arkansas. I just might marry it. Then I can hump it. Over.

I am truly thankful for the fitness to be able to do this kind of thing. It's the best!

No comments: