Wednesday, January 02, 2008

So last night I decided to test the high falootin' sleeping bag that I got. I have spent too many cold nights out of doors and I really want to see if it is possible for me to sleep warm. I have a circa 87' Marmot Nighthawk, 600fill 10 degree bag that I never felt warm in. The only time I had ever felt warm in a bag was the first night in a brand new North Face polargard 0 degree Snowshoe. After the first night and subsequent packings it was all downhill. Spending too many sleepless nights shivering out in BFE has rendered my confidence level of claimed temperature ratings reallllllly low.
But have no fear because Western Mountaineering's Kodiak, 800 fill, 0 degree bag is to the rescue. At least I hope!


I had watched the "The Man Who Fell To Earth" right before heading for the test area. I have not seen this movie. I liked it. Very pretty. It was really hard leaving my wingback and warm california king with four bedmates but testing had to be done.


Here's the test bed. Ha ha.

Yes that is correct. That is a twin mattress inside of that Aerohead. As Melissa said, "If ya got it, why the hell not!" Indeed.

Not only is it possible for me to sleep warm but I slept soundly! 9 degrees at the airport. Effin' fantastic! It was like being in a cacoon. Absolutly wonderful experience. The Super Collar and hood kept only my nose and mouth exposed to the air while keeping the warm air in during the bellows effect that is created during movement in sleep. I only had to wake up to pee off the deck once. This is how I learned to pee off the bike with abandon, peeing off of decks and into sinks. Which reminds me does anyone want to clean and reseal my deck? It looks hideous. I had to come inside about 6am when the traffic noise from 65 woke me up and that was with ear plugs.

To paraphrase 3PO; "How me and 4 greyhounds are gonna fit in this tent is quite beyond my capacity... and the tent's". By the way did you hear about the big fire at the circus? It was in tents!


The test bed is still set up and I am gonna get me more of the same tonight. Brandon says areas over Howell County was should get into the single digits.

9 comments:

ScottyD said...

got a pressure washer your more than welcome to borrow to clean your deck. Its how I clean mine. My Dogs trash it.

Like the "test lab".

Anonymous said...

koolness...I mean warmness.

Brad Jackson said...

Mike, Did the prescribed workout last night except for an hour instead of thirty minutes and felt no pain in the knee.

Melody! said...

Thanx Scott. I know beggars can't be choosers but what psi is it? Can I load and unload it myself?


Brad. atmo. I used to do 4hrs "recovery" rides but I don't anymore. I would do these the summer before last in the mornings of evening group rides after killing it the day before. I cut it down to 2 hrs this summer and I was able to have higher sustained wattage to the point to where over the course of the "season" I was able to ride at sustainable wattage for longer periods than the year before. So fwiw I have even dropped my recovery rides on the rollers down to 30'-45'...you need only enough time to stimulate blood flow.It has taken me waaay tooo loong to get my ego to accept this, although I still have my moments. atmo.

Melody! said...

Did you like what I left you in the entry this morn? That'll teach you to sleep away from us!

Melody! said...

No more trailings from the juicer for you! I hope you stop up.

p.s. Your breath stinks.

ScottyD said...

Pressure washer

ScottyD said...

It has a hose you dip into detergent bucket . I've never used that part though since straight water @ high PSI seems to work fine. Does a mean job on the siding too.

By loading I'm guessing pick it up? If so yes small & light enough it will fit in the back of my car.

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA