
On Thusday I decided to take advantage of the cool wheather by taking the four greys out in the woods for a little hiking. So I got a hard indoor workout in early. They are'nt in good shape right now and need to get into some decent fitness for this season's multi-day backpacking excursions.
I decided to go down the road to Mark Twain off Hwy H where there are some fireroads and cross country to freak out on. The drive is only about 40 mins so it's pretty handy. I have fourwheeled down there as well as mtn biked. My sis and dogs even run down the trails as I drive behind them in comfort. Yah! Yah!
It was soo cool I wore poly pants and a long sleeve midweight top with a poly t underneath with a hat on. The point is that when the temp drops to the 50's and you are'nt used to it you wear more clothes than would seem appropriate...tottaly comfy.
We were walking down a wet drainage and came to a 2 foot slab rock waterfall with a punchbowl pool at the bottom. Billy jumped off the lip and totally submerged into the pool below. I laughed at him as he emerged looking like a big wet rat! This happened about 20 meters ahead of us and the other kids were with me so they had no idea what was in store for them. So, one by one they did the same thing Bill did. And I laughed each time. Now this in itself is nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that would be deemed worthing noting however...when I got to the drop off I decided to keep my feet dry by trying to skirt the pool. I gingerly descended the slippery moss and liverwort encrusted surface and saw the crux...a 6'' diameter log that would keep me footsies dry. I started to walk down the length of the log when the sombitch rolled to the side and I packed the lateral edge of my illio-tibial band with all my weight. I gave out a loud groan as though I had just fell onto my IT band. Mert freaked out and jumped back into the pool and back up the ledge. My pants were now soaked as well as my precious feet! One thing I learned at my time at NOLS was that most evacuations occur because of people trying to keep their feet dry. WERD!
Any way, the rest of the time was lovely as we enjoyed the 50 degree temps, dry air and high pressure. Arkansas is calling.



5 comments:
The day sounds fantastic. Can't wait to meet the greys. The weather is finally turning beautiful here in the Ozarks, once the ragweed is gone it's game on!!
^ ^ ^Who dat? ^ ^ ^
Sullivan?
Your shaming me into taking my doggies out. I guess ffall is now here so its cool enough to avoid doggie heat stroke.
The conservative person is incable of analyzing new information. How embarrassing.
Who is this "anonymous?" Stalkerish.
Not a stalker, but I do post more than 2x a year...
just because I know a couple of people in town doesn' mean I know them all.
Who's embarrased?
Post a Comment